Preparing for a flood
Simple steps to prepare for flooding – this list is not exhaustive.
- Make sure you have the correct insurance cover – please check your building and contents or business policy with your insurance company.
- Find out how to turn off your gas, electricity and water supplies.
- Keep a list of useful telephone numbers (including your GP details, insurance claim line & policy number).
- Put together an emergency flood kit.
- Think about the needs of children, babies, elderly, the disabled at home and your pets. Don’t forget to check on your neighbours.
- Take detailed photos of your property and contents NOW before any flood occurs.
- Make an action plan to use in the event of a flood:
- Identify and list urgent actions in priority of value.
- What needs to be moved upstairs.
- How are you going to prevent water entering the property.
- Make sure you have the means to keep warm, food, flasks, etc.
- Mobile phone chargers, computer data and photographs stored safely.
- Most things can be replaced, family photographs, often cannot – move them to safety in good time.
- Move your car to higher ground, if it is safe to do so.